This is an entry-level position in which the successful candidate acquires the husbandry skills necessary to become an aquarist II -- a professional, exempt position. Duties include learning how to maintain fish and aquatic invertebrates in closed aquatic systems; gain experience in preventive health care and the identification of disease; develop a basic understanding of exhibit maintenance and development; learn all areas of the two Aquarium buildings and animal care facility needed for coverage of the aquatic animal areas. This position is a training period in which successful completion may take from 18 to 24 months.
Bachelor’s degree in biology, ichthyology or zoology preferred
A BS degree in a related field or equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of preferred degree.
Oversee and supervise the IMAX and Plaza Concessions and Facility Rental operations, ensuring excellent customer service and satisfaction in product quality, delivery and special event operations. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Establish and maintain operational policies and procedures that ensure consistency and a safe environment for guests, staff, caterers and contract laborers.
• Determine event details with facility rental clients and vendors, with ability to upsell add-ons and recommend options that are mutually beneficial for the client and the Aquarium.
• Ensure an excellent guest experience through staff selection, training/development, scheduling and supervision/evaluation.
• Prepare related correspondence, work orders, billing and report data for after-hours events.
• Maintain excellent working relationship with internal departments affected and influenced by evening events.
• Work closely with caterers and contract laborers to ensure quality and adhesion to Aquarium guidelines and recycling efforts during events.
• Maintain appropriate levels of product inventory for concessions and facility rental, ensuring uninterrupted service.
• Update and adjust product offerings, taking into account the cost of goods, marketplace trends and visitor needs.
• Maintain a clean work environment and commissary ensuring high scores from Health Inspectors.
• Maintain professional visitor- friendly signage and consistency in product offerings.
• Achieve or exceed revenue projections for the Food and Beverage department, including the fulfillment of pre-sold school lunches.
• Take a lead role in the implementation of the Aquarium’s fundraising event.
• Maintain working knowledge of specialized Food and Beverage hardware and software.
• Adhere to and exhibit to Food and Beverage staff the core values and service standards set forth by the Aquarium.
• Ensure and maintain company standards in cashiering procedures and accuracy. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Must be flexible to work weekdays, weekends and after-hours as needed Educational Requirements:
Persuasive and able to relate the benefits of hosting an event in Aquarium facilities.
Strong interpersonal skills
Strong multi-tasking ability and time management skills
Knowledge of Aquarium event guidelines
Excellent oral communication and organizational skills
Excellent leadership and customer service skills
Quality orientation and attention to detail
Ability to maintain poise under pressure
Some college preferred.
Minimum of four years experience in a related field is preferred. License or Certification Required:Beverage
Valid driver’s license Supervises:
• Assistant Food & Beverage Manager