The Tennessee Aquarium is committed to creating a positive, challenging and rewarding work environment.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and strive for diversity in all jobs and at all levels in the organization. Our policy is to accept applications only for specific job vacancies as posted below.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we are unable to provide status updates for individuals. The applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted by the hiring manager.
Apply in person:
IMAX 3D Theater Center
Monday – Friday
Fax or mail a copy of your resume along with a completed application stating the position you are applying for to:
There are no full-time positions currently available.
PART-TIME / SEASONAL:
This position provides swing coverage in both horticultural and avicultural aspects of exhibits throughout the Aquarium. Duties include direct daily care of plants and birds ensuring the health and well being of both groups and the daily maintenance of exhibit and off exhibit areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Carries out daily care of plants both on and off exhibit including watering, leaf cleaning, fertilization, pest management, pruning, soil care and improvement as well as the installation and removal of plants.
- Assists Horticulturists in training and supervision of volunteer horticulture staff and covers areas when volunteers are absent.
- Prepares and feeds bird diets, maintains exhibits and off-exhibit enclosures and monitors birds within area of responsibility.
- Maintains appropriate records.
- Performs work in a manner that fosters the Aquarium’s mission and reflects its core values and service standards
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in areas assigned to other forest staff in their absence.
- Assists in developing new exhibits.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of and skills in plant culture including watering, fertilization, pruning, pest control, and plant propagation
- Ability to work in mixed species exhibits.
- Ability to work in awkward and slippery environments involving strenuous activity.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive to variation in daily routine.
- Ability to be a team player and communicate positively and effectively with all members of the Aquarium team
- Weekend work required. Twenty hours per week.
- Interest in and ability to develop skills in horticulture and aviculture.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skills in horticulture and aviculture preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, horticulture, ornithology or zoology preferred.
- Normal office environment
- Frequent wet and slippery surroundings
- Frequent hot or cold settings
- Frequent exposure to odors, etc.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Climbing ladders
- Working in cramped and awkward spaces requiring crouching and crawling