The Tennessee Aquarium is committed to creating a positive, challenging and rewarding work environment.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and strive for diversity in all jobs and at all levels in the organization. Our policy is to accept applications only for specific job vacancies as posted below.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we are unable to provide status updates for individuals. The applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted by the hiring manager.
Apply in person:
IMAX 3D Theater Center
Monday – Friday
Fax: (423) 756-1849
There are no full-time positions at this time.
PART-TIME / SEASONAL:
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Technician (TNACI)
Assists with compiling and georeferencing locality data for imperiled southeastern fishes. Aids in creation of biodiversity layers for southeastern freshwater aquatics. Use geospatial data to create databases for imperiled fishes. Liaison for scientists working on Conservation Plans for Imperiled Fishes. Provides assistance with other tasks as needed. Part-time (20 hours/week)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Compile and georeference museum locality data for imperiled freshwater organisms.
- Maintain or modify databases associated with imperiled species.
- Edits maps as requested by species experts.
- Prepare graphics or other visual representations of geographical information.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Digitize species ranges and localities.
- Obtain data from online repositories.
- Shapefiles creation from geographic coordinates.
- Ability to read, interpret, and analyze data
- Perform related duties as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Skill with all major functions in ArcGIS including digitizing over imagery, .mxd project creation, use and manipulation of geodatabases.
- Good working knowledge of Excel, Access, Word.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, and as part of a team.
- High school diploma or GED.
- At least three years of college-level biology or geography.
- Knowledge of ESRI suite products and southeastern freshwater fishes preferred.
- Seasonal fieldwork activities may be required for this position.
- Schedule may require some weekend and holiday work.
Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
If you are qualified and would like to be considered for the above position, submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.