As an Aquarium diver, you'll interact with exotic and unusual creatures without driving to the beach.
Volunteer divers are experienced certified divers who help aquarium staff care for the exhibits. They feed some of our fish and help clean the exhibits. Divers also entertain, educate and interact with visitors during live dive presentations. All divers must be certified in SCUBA, successfully complete a written exam and pass a water skills test. Divers are required to work at least one seven-hour shift every four weeks.
- Be at least 18 years of age and certified for scuba diving by a nationally recognized organization (PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc.) Have logged a minimum of 25 dives after certification and 12 open water dives within the last three years.
- Will fill out an official application to the Tennessee Aquarium for volunteer diving status.
- Provide a copy of diving certification card, current first aid and adult CPR certifications, and Oxygen Provider certificate prior to diving in the exhibits.
- Complete a written exam covering various aspects of diving physics, physiology, equipment and safety.
- Will complete an in-water skills test.
- Have a medical release from your physician.
- Perform in accordance with all policies, protocols and operation procedures.
- Help maintain a clean and healthy environment for the animals.
- Dive exhibits at the scheduled times of 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Remain aware of exhibit and dive changes and observe and interpret animal behavior.
- Keep and log accurate records and maintain clean work areas.
Divers must be available:
- On regularly scheduled diving days, once every four weeks at a minimum, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for the purpose of feeding exhibitory animals, to perform basic maintenance and show dives.
- To remain on active dive status, each diver must have a minimum 30 minutes of bottom time per month, or 60 minutes bi-monthly and a minimum of ten dive days per year. Additionally, volunteers who miss 90 consecutive days will be removed from the roster.
Our next diver recruitment will be January 2016. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer diver please download and complete this volunteer diver application.